Total Pageviews

Saturday 16 July 2011

RBE Day 13 First Aid Course

Good morning! A dreary one today!  Not to worry, I was up today at 6.30 and started making a packed lunch for everyone - for we are off to school today!


We are being picked up at 8.30 the other side of the Dart to be taken to Brixham - to learn First Aid!  Mike seems a little excited by this and thinks he is going to receive the Kiss of Life - even more excited when I said it will involve Annie.........a woman with a head and part of a torso!


Its Pete's birthday today - he has said he would much rather forget it altogether, so we have promised to only remind him of it hourly!


We have a table booked tonight in the new Tapas just along from the boat so we are all looking forward to that - as well as the completion of another course.  First Aid will come in useful after the hazards of Diesel Engine Management!


Catch you later!


Its now 5.45 and the first aid course is complete!  It was fabulous fun - and we all learned so much


Ready, steady, roll!

Our turn now

Our wonderful tutor Tracey

Pete saves another life!





We all had great experience of performing CPR.   Mike was particularly looking forward to the artificial respiration (mouth to mouth) and looked terribly disappointed when plastic heads and torsos came out (I did warn you Mike!)

Mike gets to grip with the torso

Then he makes his move

Not quite what he was expecting, but he performed the mouth to mouth beautifully!


We practiced bandages, and triangular supports and some of us got quite carried away indeed!
We all enjoyed tying one another up with bandages!


Look at my fine work - all he did was nick his little finger - overkill?

A fine job Chris!

Mike looks a little nervous as John bandages him!


We throughly enjoyed the course and now feel better prepared if there should be a medical problem.  It was assumed that my midwifery training and experience would mean I wouldnt have to do the first aid course - but unless anyone on the boat is in labour or havin a postpartum haemorrhage, I really felt the need to do it.  Caring for someone with an electric shock out on the ocean really wasnt part of any module I completed!
Picked up by Neil after the course to be taken back out our boat - he took us to Churston Manor on the way back - fabulous place! 

Chruston Manor

The RBE team!

Pete’s birthday as I have mentioned and we have a meal booked at the new tapas in Dartmouth and we are all starving hungry after our day of studying (although I did make everyone a packed lunch for the day at 6.30 this morning!
Strangest thing, on the ferry from Kingswear to Dartmouth - some very strange blue men appeared……..

Strange blue men in Dartmouth - with Papa Smurf!

Typical dress in Dartmouth - honestly!

Lovely to get back to the boat - even more money moored around us now……..
Enjoyed the evening - treated to the meal by the birthday boy - thanks so much Pete!  Really generous.

Happy Birthday Pete

Back to the cherub to find Jim, Sonya and friends there enjoying the beer there.  So embarrassing to find they then looked up my blog on their i-phones to read what I had written about them yesterday.  Paul their friend had no memory of talking with me yesterday - but asked how he could make comments on my blog.  He was told he could do that - but somehow I seem to be having problems with people uploading comments on here - I have a few, but some do not seem to be coming out - I rather hope this will be the case with him - sorry Paul!

We thought Dartmouth was a very affluent and refined place to be - however, on our way back to the boat we passed by a man who had just been attacked by another man, who was in turn being pined onto the floor by 2 other men with lots of drunk bystanders.  Having completed this first aid course - I was a little upset to find someone with a head injury, AND bleeding was standing up - that was one of the first moves to make with someone in this position - however, I did absolutely nothing as this extensive training taught me to evaluate the danger to myself first…..!
Mike and Pete now wandering back to the boat both speaking with strange accents like country bumpkins from Shropshire - thats their aim - but I think they have their counties wrong as they sound more like Somerset or Dorset!
Sleeping at night, can hear the locals bashing their way at the windows of the nearby cafe - we are far too posh for this place!  Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like everyone is having a great time! I will await rescue from my Dad next time I injure myself! (will try not to injure myself in the next few months though!!) Give him another hug from me!! Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story

    love the pictures

    ReplyDelete