Total Pageviews

Tuesday 12 July 2011

RBE Day 9 - Sailing from Chapmans Pool to Dartmouth



Anchored overnight in a lovely little sheltered cove off the Dorset coast.
Anchoring Chapmans Pool at dusk

Anchorage secure but as the wind changed overnight, Duncan had to lay more chain to provide stability.  This was at 4am and I was blissfully unaware of this as I slept my way through the night having the best sleep so far.
Duncan had told us we only needed one crew member up to make an early start and as Pete was usually the first one to rise in the morning it was planned for him to join Duncan - we were all told we could have a lye in.  Why is it that when you know you can sleep late you are awake so early - it couldn't be the fact that there was a 52 Hp engine right at the side of me roaring away.
A misty morning today and time seemed to pass by slowly.  Just before 10am I popped to my cabin to go to the loo, then sat on my bunk, then found myself lying down, then snuggling down under my duvet.  2 hours later I surfaced after a lovely deep sleep - I cant believe how much I’m sleeping!  The only reason I woke was because of the smell of cooking bacon reaching my olfactory bulb…...John fixing bacon and egg sandwiches for all of us - what a little darling!
Interesting to learn about tidal races - important to know when passing headlands - particularly Bill of Portland


Bill of Portland

This really is a luxury trip - for I have my own hairdresser on board.  Chris, who has raised 3 girls asked if she could French plait my hair.  Look what a fab job she has done! 


Duncan said I had to behave like a Princess now - Im not really sure what that entails - I’ve checked out the Sunday Times and see that Kate Middleton is having dinner in Los Angeles with Nicole Kidman and Tom Hanks - I really think I should be invited!


We are heading into Dartmouth tonight and Duncan has promised to take me into the Cherub- the oldest pub in Dartmouth dating from 1380 - it is the oldest building in Dartmouth too.  Im hoping we will meet more plonkers in blazers and cravats!




I've been spending time (when not sleeping) doing some serious study (honest!) and practicing my knots.  Apparently Im at "Competent Crew" level and will soon be issued with my first certificate, first of many in my collection!





Entering Dartmouth - beautiful!
Arrived in beautiful Dartmouth around 3.30 and we moored alongside a beautiful boat - so glad it wasnt me steering RBE into the little space with so many people watching and a very expensive boat to attach ourselves onto!  Soon will be though - tomorrow we are practising this very thing apparently.
I set straight to making dinner - a chilli this evening and everyone tells me they like it hot - so watch out!  Food prepared, it was then left to me to make G&T's.  Unsure if John wanted one, he was on the telephone, I assumed it was his daughter so I shouted out "G&T darling?" he answered yes - turned out it was the Bishops PA he was on the phone to - good job thats all I shouted!
Darmouth seemed so busy during the afternoon, then everyone seemed to disappear as evening appeared.  We went to the Cherub
The Cherub

and enjoyed a couple of pints of real ale sitting on some interesting seats


They have the strangest seats in the Cherub - doesnt Duncan look comfy!





I was asked where I wanted to go next - I said somewhere thats not modern, with character and with characters in....it was a struggle and we ended up in the Castle Hotel.
Knackered once more, to bed at 11.30.  Got to have my wits about me tomorrow trying to park this boat............

No comments:

Post a Comment