Total Pageviews

Monday 18 July 2011

RBE Day 15 - RADAR course

Its now 5.30 and my brain is aching!  have just completed the RADAR course with Neil Penman at South West Marine Training, and my head hurts!  Back to school time, learning facts and figures, plotting positions on maps and doing MATHS (Mychelle, was thinking of you today!)
This is the 1st day that I haven't taken any photographs as it has just been pure study.  However, it is something I am going to take back to the boat with me and work on further - Im told I could get asked about it during my yacht master exam - and something which may well prove useful to use with poor visibility.  Its nothing like the old movies I used to watch with the machine that goes "blip" ...... "blip" ...... "blip" and there is an obvious ship!  It is far more about mathematics and physics and is definitely something to work on and have to dig deep into my brain cells.  It does mean I get to play with another gadget which always pleases me!
I've spent the first 2 weeks of this trip as quartermaster - but now my time is over and I have handed the wooden spoon and ladle to Chris and Pete who are going to work on it together - slight cheat of course, but I did have John as my Sous-Chef, always around as soon as I started to cook, chopping, slicing, stirring and washing up - Im looking forward to being his assistant too.
Course has now finished and Chris and Pete are heading into town to buy provisions for the week and Im looking forward to eating someone else's cooking!
Time to go and get a cuppa and rest my aching head!
Updated -
Well, clearly, it wasn't just me feeling the ache of the head from all this studying…...walking past the lounge area at the entrance of Brixham marina- I spotted Mike and John!!
John is worn out after studying RADAR


Met up with Nicky as Sam was at his kayak club this evening.  He looks gorgeous in his kayak (or is it a canoe Sammy?)

Oh no - Aunty Jilly has her camera poised again!

Sam looks cool in his canoe!


Action shot!

Handed my camera over to Joseph and he did a smashing job!

Me and my mate Nic Nak!  Pointing to the brochure for the RNLI  events week!

Although Joseph not too keen to be photographed with me!

Joseph loves being photographed with his Aunty Jilly!


A quick drink at the breakwater cafe and Joe had an icecream nearly as big as his head!
Joseph hates ice cream!

Yum yum!

Back onto the boat, just in time for supper - shopped for and cooked by Chris and Pete - what a treat - all the foods I love, crusty bread, cheeses, salads, humous, coleslaw AND stilton, digestives, butter and red wine!  Heaven!
We enjoyed a lovely evening when suddenly, some of the lights went off on the boat, then we smelt smoke.  Straight into action, I lept up and grabbed a fire extinguisher and a wet tea towel (!!)  the smoke came from Johns cabin and one of his LED lights had burnt out.
Oh dear!


This will now make us much more safety conscious - we all made sure we thought of our escape plans should an emergency ensue and avoid cluttering cupboards which contained the fire extinguishers with a knowledge of where they all were.  So good of South West Marine Training to set up this mini-emergency at 10pm to get us all thinking about fire safety on a yacht!
Exhausted, and the smell of smoke still in my nostrils I went to bed and had the best night sleep so far - it must be all this study and excitement!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for pics of my grandsons Jill. Good luck with rest of the course xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kay! Amazed I managed to get one of Joe!

    ReplyDelete